Sunday, February 25, 2007

Tarahumara, the Runners on Foot

I watched Snatch with some friends tonight, and somehow (it fit in the conversation somehow) I ended up talking about a tribe native to northern Mexico who happen to be famous for their long distance running. I'm fairly certain that those friends don't really care that much, but I found the name and thus wanted to share just a bit about this fascinating culture that lives in the Sierra Madre Occidental in Chihuahua, Mexico. They are the Tarahumara, and here is some reading that may be insightful:

Wikipedia
mexonline.com

And an excerpt from a paper I wrote for my undergrad, which was a review of Tarahumara by Bernard L. Fontana:

"They can run for days without even sleeping, and with large packs filled with mail or some other burden. In spite of disease and often malnutrition, they are able to get around on foot in a way that is more than impressive. "

And a brief shout out to my friends: I'm sorry you hated Snatch.

2 comments:

Kj said...

Cabe, I'm deeply honored to be linked.

Comment: SNATCH is an awesome film, and I'm sorry people didn't jive with it.

Likewise, I did some investigative scrolling on Witless Brevity, and when I saw that a post had 39 comments, I had to find out what all the hype was, and needless to say, that was probably one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life. It should be made into an art installation that includes various foods and beers to compare together. genius. hilarity. Oh Blogland...

Ben said...

cabe! you've linked me! and i am with KJ, deeply honored... and great stuff on the tarahumara, man.

tarahumara man. kinda like how that sounds...
tarahumara man.